After being away from the classroom for more than a week, we wanted to know: What was it like returning to the classroom?

Three Mash reporters weigh in on how their first few days back at school went after the strike was over.

Shantae Howell
Walter Payton

Returning back to school post-strike arouses similar sentiments to returning from any other substantial amount of time away from school: Joy at the sight of friends, anticipation of the next break, and sleepiness—with the added anxiety of not knowing how those days spent away from school will be compensated for just yet. After a day of reacquainting myself with the four days worth of material covered before the strike and ability to discuss college interview and scholarship opportunities with my counselor, I have been internally breathing a sigh of relief at the fact that the strike did not occur at a later time in the school year where it would have inevitably been harder to get back on track or finish college applications. It’s good to be back.

Josh Kalamotousakis

Even though it was the first day after more than a week of teachers being on strike, my day seemed normal. The hardest part was actually waking up. Other than that, my day went smooth. Teachers seemed happy to be back. Their only problem was being a little unorganized from not being able to be in the building during the strike.

I would say that the best part of being back was that many students seemed to have a better appreciation for teachers. Many students wore red in support of the teacher union. It shows how much we wanted them back.

I can’t believe I actually am saying this, but I missed being in school. I hated having to get back into the swing of things but it seems a little easier the second time around.

Matt Cullen
Walter Payton

I must have refreshed the Chicago Tribune’s website more than 100 times from 4:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. before the breaking news spread across the globe: CPS students are headed back to school! Despite a short period of denial, it was essential that I realized the glorious days of the CTU walkout were coming to a close before procrastination really got the best of me.

Waking up in the morning for school was a nice change of pace. While many students dislike early morning wake-up calls, it’s undeniable that routine is necessary, and for me at least, rising and shining wasn’t all that bad. Teachers resumed where they left off on September 7th and students took full advantage of their second “first” day of school. It was as if the strike had never happened.

>> How was your week back at school once the strike ended? Let us know below in the comments!

Powered by Facebook Comments

About The Mash

Maura Wall Hernandez is digital editor of The Mash.

Read more articles from .

You might also like

  • We get an NFL team

    In 2007, Kevin McConnell, 51, of Annapolis, Maryland, developed what he thought was a terrible earache. After the pain spread... [...]

  • Norway has a sovereign wealth

    Norway has a sovereign wealth fund worth about $900 billion, which comes from state cut of its North Sea Oil... [...]

  • You came into the classroom

    You came into the classroom, looking so serious and only sat next to me because you couldn’t find a seat.... [...]

  • In such cases

    In such cases, you can additionally buy a replacement lens for as little as $8 and then buy laminated tear... [...]