January 14, 2016
Submissions are now closed.
If the shoe fits, you could be The Mash’s 2016 PROMathon Queen!
Fill out the form below for a chance to have The Mash give you a head-to-toe prom look, plus give $1,000 to your school’s prom committee!
Submissions are now closed!
Read the full official contest rules for 2016 below!
THE MASH PROMATHON 2016 CONTEST
The entry period for The Mash PROMathon 2016 Contest (“Contest”) runs from 12:01 am (CT) on Thursday, January 14, 2016 to 11:59 pm (CT) on Monday, February 15, 2016 (“Contest Period”). The sponsor of this Contest is The Mash, a Chicago Tribune Company LLC publication, 435 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (“Sponsor”). The Contest will be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all contestants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions herein.
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
2) Eligibility: This Contest is open to any female student at any Chicagoland High School (the “Contest Area”), age 14 years or older and a legal U.S. resident as of the Contest start date. For purposes of this Contest, a “Chicagoland High School” is one in Cook County, Lake County, DuPage County, Kane County, McHenry County, or Will County. You also must be eligible to go to your school’s prom under your school’s guidelines as the primary attendee and not just as a guest. For example, if your school has a senior prom, you must be a senior and not simply going as a senior’s date. If your school has any other criteria for prom attendance, you must meet those criteria. You also must be planning to attend your school’s prom and willing and available to participate with staff from The Mash in up to three after-school or weekend prom preparation activities (clothes shopping, makeup session, etc.). By entering, you agree to participate in those activities and attend your school’s prom. If you are the Grand Prize winner and you do not participate in the activities set forth above as reasonably requested by Sponsor, you will forfeit your Grand Prize. Employees (and the employees’ immediate family members (parents, children, and siblings) and those living in the same household) of the Sponsor and its advertising companies, parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotion contractors and/or public relations companies affiliated with this Contest, are not eligible to participate. A potential winner may be requested to provide the Sponsor with proof that all eligibility requirements are met. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW AND OUTSIDE CONTEST AREA.
4) Quarter-Finalist Selection: A panel of judges from The Mash will select the six quarter-finalist Essays (the “Quarter-Finalists”) based on the following criteria: creativity, 20%; enthusiasm, 40%; and commitment to being the PROMathon Queen, 40%. The Photos will not play a role in the determination of the Quarter-Finalists. If there is a tie for the sixth Quarter-Finalist, judges will re-judge the Essays until the tie is broken. Contestants agree that all decisions made by the panel of judges relating to any and all issues related to this Contest are final and binding. After the judges choose six Quarter-Finalists, they will work with those Quarter-Finalists to fill out all necessary paperwork and photograph them for an in-paper profile to run on Thursday, March 17, 2016.
5) Quarter-Finalist Notification: Sponsor will attempt to notify the six Quarter-Finalists by telephone or by email using the information provided in the entry form by end of business March 1, 2016. If a potential Quarter-Finalist cannot be contacted or does not respond by 5:00 pm (CT) on March 3, 2016 if a potential Quarter-Finalist does not fulfill the eligibility requirements, if a potential Quarter-Finalist does not adhere to the Official Rules, if a potential Quarter-Finalist does not complete and return any required documents by the deadline established by Sponsor, or if the Quarter-Finalist notification is returned as undeliverable, that potential Quarter-Finalist will be disqualified and Sponsor may select a new potential Quarter-Finalist by the same criteria set forth above. All Quarter-Finalists (and each Quarter-Finalist’s parent or legal guardian if Quarter-Finalist is under the age of 18) will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability Release and a Publicity Release, and they must do so within 48 hours of the time the Sponsor sends the paperwork to the Quarter-Finalist.
6) Winner Selection: There are three voting periods. The first voting period, when four semi-finalists (the “Semi-Finalists”) will be determined, begins on Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 6:01 am (CT) and ends on Monday, March 21, 2016 at 11:59 pm (CT). The four Quarter-Finalists with the highest number of votes at the end of the first voting period will be named Semi-Finalists. The second voting period, when two finalists (the “Finalists”) will be determined, begins on Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 6:01 am (CT) and ends on Monday, March 28, 2016 at 11:59 pm (CT). The two Semi-Finalists with the highest number of votes at the end of the second voting period will be named Finalists. The third voting period, when the PROMathon Queen will be determined, begins on Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 6:01 am (CT) and ends on Monday, April 4, 2016 at 11:59 pm (CT). The Finalist with the highest number of votes at the end of the third voting period will be named the PROMathon Queen. After each voting period, vote totals will re-set to zero. If there is a tie at any stage, the tie will be broken by the judges’ original scores on the Essays, and the next tie-breaker is the judges’ score on commitment to being the PROMathon Queen.
7) How to Vote: There are three ways to vote:
a. Visit themash.com/promathon and follow the instructions. Or
b. Text the name of the contestant you wish to vote for to 31286. Text messaging and wireless services are not available in all areas. Text STOP to stop and HELP for help. All text message voters must have a text messaging two-way capable handset and digital service in order to vote in the Contest using the text messaging method. Message and data rates may apply. Text messaging and wireless service are not available in all areas; check with your carrier for availability. Sponsor is not responsible for any fees associated with messaging. Voters will be sent a text message to confirm their vote in the Contest. Text STOP to stop. You may receive subsequent messages clarifying or confirming your opt-out request. Text HELP for help.
c. Tweet @MashChicago your vote. For example, the tweet should be similar to “Hey @MashChicago I’m voting for #alexis”
8) Conditions Applicable to All Voting: You must be 13 or older to vote. Students, parents, teachers, community members, and others will have the opportunity to vote in the Contest. Regardless of voting method, limit one vote per voter, per medium, per hour, and each vote may be cast for only one contestant, including yourself. Sponsor reserves the right not to publicize the voting numbers. Votes generated by a script, macro, or other automated means will be disqualified. All voters must be located in the United States at the time they cast their vote and must cast their votes through servers located in the United States. Proxy voting is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to creating multiple or dummy emails. No one may purchase votes. The use of automated or third party software or website to vote is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any votes cast in violation of the above restrictions or those outlined below. Sponsor is not responsible for votes that are lost, late, deleted, garbled, corrupted, misdelivered, undelivered, or misdirected. If there is any question regarding the identity of a vote recipient, the vote recipient will be determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
9) Winner Notification: Sponsor will, at its discretion, provide followers of The Mash on Twitter with voting updates on Twitter, every weekday in the afternoon during the first two voting periods. The potential PROMathon Queen will be announced online at themash.com/promathon on Wednesday, April 6 at 5:00 p.m. (CT), and Sponsor will attempt to notify the PROMathon queen by email or phone. Sponsor will attempt to contact the potential winner on April 5th by 5:00 pm (CT). If a potential winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within 24 hours of first notification attempt, if a potential winner does not fulfill the eligibility requirements, if a potential winner does not adhere to the Official Rules, if the potential winner does not complete and return any required documents by the deadline established by Sponsor, or if the prize notification is returned as undeliverable, that potential winner may be disqualified.
10) Prize: One Grand Prize: The Mash Prom Queen Extravaganza, which consists of, prom dress, shoes, salon gift certificate, and tickets to prom for the Queen and her date. The Grand Prize winner will also be featured in several editions of The Mash as well as on themash.com in the weeks prior to prom. Approximate Retail Value of The Mash Prom Queen Extravaganza: $750. In addition, the Grand Prize winner’s school will receive a $1,000 donation from The Mash to her school’s prom committee. The dress and shoes will be subject to a budget provided by Sponsor and must be selected by winner in cooperation with Sponsor. Prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash, and prize substitution will not be allowed, except at the discretion of the Sponsor. Gift certificate subject to terms and conditions thereon. If the dress, shoes, etc. selected are valued at less than the ARV of the Grand Prize, the difference in prize value will not be awarded. The dress, shoes, etc. selected may not exceed the ARV listed herein. All expenses not specifically listed herein are the responsibility of the prize winner. Properly claimed prize will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. Winner responsible for all taxes on prize, and winner (and winner’s parent or legal guardian if winner is under 18) may be required to complete and return certain tax documents to Sponsor. If Sponsor does not feature Grand Prize winner in The Mash and/or themash.com for any reason, winner will not be entitled to alternate prize, and Sponsor is not obligated to run such features.
11) Other Conditions of Entry: Each contestant represents and warrants that no laws were broken in the creation of her Essay or Photo and that her Essay and Photo: are her own original creation (or, in the case of the Photo, that she has all rights necessary to submit the Photo in the Contest), have not been copied in whole from any other work, have not been previously published, have not been previously submitted in another contest, do not violate the rights of any other person or company (including but not limited to privacy rights and copyrights), do not defame, libel, or slander anyone or any entity, and do not contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene or profane content. Essays must be in English. Essays and Photos that do not comply with these Official Rules will be disqualified. All received entries (excluding Essays and Photos) become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Contestants grant to Sponsor a world-wide, royalty-free, perpetual license to use their Essays and Photos in any manner related to the Contest, without prior notice, approval or compensation, where and to the extent allowed by law.
12) Responsibility Release: By entering, contestants agree to release, waive, and hold harmless Sponsor, Twitter, and their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, and liability arising from injuries, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney’s fees) incurred as a result of the contestants’ participation in this Contest and/or their acceptance, use, or misuse of the prize.
13) Publicity: By entering this Contest, contestants agree to allow use of their name, voice, photograph, likeness, any information provided on the entry form, and their Essays in any medium of communication, including but not limited to print, Internet, radio and/or television and for any purpose, including advertising, promotional or other purposes, by Sponsor and its licensees and affiliates, without additional compensation. Contestants also agree to participate in photo shoots and prom preparation features that may appear in The Mash and on themash.com.
14) Internet/Fraud/Tampering: Sponsor is not responsible for printing or typographical errors in any Contest-related materials; for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, deleted, incomplete, inaccurate, or garbled or entries that are processed, reported, or transmitted late or incorrectly or are lost for any reason, including computer, telephone, paper transfer, human or other error, or for electronic, computer or telephonic malfunction or error, including inability to access any website associated with this Contest, or process any transaction thereon. If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this Contest or any web site associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of the Contest and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by contestants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Sponsor’s opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest or any portion thereof. If this Contest is cancelled during the entry period, the judges panel will select the PROMathon Queen applying the judging criteria set forth above to all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If this Contest is cancelled during any of the voting stages, the PROMathon Queen will be determined by the number of eligible, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted on The Mash website and Twitter feed. ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT, VOTER, OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE (INCLUDING THE ENTRY SITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit or disqualify any contestant or voter from participating in the Contest (and such voter’s votes will not be counted) if, at its sole discretion, Sponsor finds such contestant or voter to be tampering with the entry process, voting process or the operation of the Contest, or if such contestant or voter shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent, these Official Rules, or acts: (a) in a manner the Sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (b) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other contestant, voter or Sponsor; or (c) in any other disruptive manner. Sponsor assumes no liability for (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty, failed, garbled or jumbled electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Contest; (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Contest; or (d) inaccessibility or unavailability of the Internet or the Contest website or any combination thereof.
15) Trademark: Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners. The use or mention of such third party trademarks in these Official Rules or in the Contest is solely for descriptive purposes and will in no way imply an endorsement or sponsorship of the Contest.
16) RELEASE OF LIABILITY: SPONSOR, ITS AFFILIATES AND SUBSIDIARIES, ALL PRIZE PROVIDERS, AND ANY OTHER ENTITY INVOLVED IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS CONTEST (“RELEASED PARTIES”) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES MADE OR OFFERED BY ADVERTISERS, PARTNERS, MANUFACTURERS OR SUPPLIERS, INCLUDING THOSE RELATED TO ANY PRIZE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CONTEST OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, PRIZE AWARD OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES THAT THE CONTEST OR RELATED WEBSITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE CONTEST. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN, OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN, THE CONTEST, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN WHOLE OR IN PART.
17) Typographical and Other Errors: Sponsor reserves the right to correct typographical, printing or clerical errors in any Contest-related materials. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
18) Disputes: By entering the Contest, entrants agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Some jurisdictions do not allow for limitations on the ability to pursue class action remedies, or certain kinds of damages, and so these limitations may not apply to you. Any failure by Sponsor to enforce any of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of such Official Rules.
19) Construction: If there is any discrepancy or inconsistency between any terms or conditions of these Official Rules and any disclosures or other statements contained in any other Contest-related materials, including but not limited to the Contest entry forms, or point of sale, television, print, mobile or online advertising, the terms and conditions of these Official Rules will prevail, govern and control.
20) Choice of Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants or Released Parties in connection with the Contest, will be governed by Illinois law, without giving effect to any choice of law rules that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Illinois. All entrants expressly agree that any legal proceedings arising out of or relating in any way to this Contest or these Official Rules must be brought only in the federal or state courts located in Chicago, Illinois, and entrants consent to the mandatory and exclusive jurisdiction in such courts with respect to any such legal proceedings.
21) Unenforceability: If any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules will otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
22) Winner List: For the name of the winner, available after April 15, 2016, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to PROMathon 2016 Winner’s List, The Mash, 435 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. Request for winner list must be received by May 31, 2016.
This Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Twitter.
THE MASH PROMATHON 2016 CONTEST ABBREVIATED RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Entry runs from 12:01 am CT on 1/14/16 to 11:59 pm CT on 2/15/16.
Contest open to any female student at any high school in Cook, Lake, DuPage, Kane, McHenry, or Will County, 14+ as of 1/14/16, who is legal US resident & eligible to go to school’s prom. Void where prohibited & outside listed counties. To enter, complete entry form on themash.com/promathon & submit essay of 200 words or less about why you want to be The Mash PROMathon Queen. Limit 1 entry per person & per email address. Judges will select 6 quarter-finalists based on creativity, 20%; enthusiasm, 40%; &commitment to being PROMathon Queen, 40%. 3 voting periods. 1st voting period runs from 3/17/16 at 6:01 am CT to 3/21/16 at 11:59 pm CT. 4 vote leaders become semi-finalists. 2nd voting period runs from 3/24/16 at 6:01 am CT to 3/28/16 at 11:59 pm CT. 2 vote leaders become finalists. 3rd voting period runs from 3/31/16 at 6:01 am CT to 4/4/16 at 11:59 pm CT. Vote leader named PROMathon Queen. 3 ways to vote: 1) visit themash.com/promathon to vote; 2) text name of contestant you vote for to 31286. Voters will be sent a text message to confirm their vote. Msg. & data rates may apply. Text messaging & wireless services are not available in all areas. Text STOP 2 stop & HELP 4 help; or 3) tweet @MashChicago your vote. Limit 1 vote per voter, per medium, per hour. 1 Grand Prize: The Mash Prom Queen Extravaganza. ARV: $750 & $1,000 donation from The Mash to winner’s school’s prom committee. Full rules at themash.com/promathon. Sponsor: The Mash, a Chicago Tribune Co. LLC pub., 435 N. Michigan, Chicago, IL 60611. This Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Twitter.
Powered by Facebook Comments