All Insider Posts

IMG_20150630_160350

By Zahra Ali, Plainfield North

Hi, I’m Zahra and this is my blog for Mash Insider. First, a little bit about me: I’m 17, Muslim and going to be a senior at Plainfield North High School (Woo! Senior year!). Although I was born and raised in the Chicagoland area, my family is from Pakistan, and a lot of my extended family still lives there. That being said, my culture is a weird fusion of American and Pakistani, which is great because it opens me up to different perspectives on personal beliefs and world events.  Also, if you ever want to get to know me better (although I’m not that exciting), check out my Twitter: @Zahra__Ali_

As for my daily activities, well, mainly I like to eat Oreos and rant about politics/social injustice to my mom. But besides that, I have a passion for martial arts and badminton. I previously trained in Shotokan Karate but have recently taken up Jiu Jitsu, and it’s been an exhilarating new experience. Badminton is awesome too, and I can’t wait until the season starts again in spring. In addition to sports, I love writing, and am the editorial editor for my school newspaper, “The Crimson Prowler.” I guess you could also say I’m a news junkie because I check Twitter at least a hundred times a day for interesting stories.

You might also want to know about my inexplicable affinity for puns. My spunky sense of humor is punctuated with my family’s weariness towards my bad jokes.  They might want to punish me by punching me. Haha. Actually, I’m currently in a mission to compile a joke book with the worst/best jokes I’ve ever heard.

On a more serious note, this blog will most likely be commentary on hard news, or coverage of events in my community. In my writing, I’m passionate about foreign relations (especially in the Middle East), civil rights issues, the rise of Islamophobia and similar topics.

Powered by Facebook Comments

About Zahra

Read more articles from .